Published by admin on 03 Jan 2006 at 08:18 pm
So to recap my 55 in 2005… I accomplished, um, some things. I was being very ambitious when I wrote the list and ambition is not one of my strongest suits, so let’s see how I did.
General Behavior section
1. Stop complaining. No one wants to hear how hot it is or how rainy it is. They can tell. They are standing RIGHT NEXT TO YOU. Yeah, I’m a total complainer, it’s only been since I’ve been around this other complainer that I’ve realized how bad it is.
2. No more judgmental stuff. Just because the first time you meet someone you thought they were an ass, doesn’t mean A. that they actually are an ass. And B. that you should tell everyone you know that you think they are an ass. SHUT UP about it already. I didn’t even really work on this
3. Stop wishing death on people who cut you off whilst driving. They don’t deserve to die, and neither does their cat or dog or grandma. It’s mean. discounting the weeks when I was quitting smoking I was much better at this, I’m much more zen in the car now
4. January - March reading list - A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh, The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner, Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
5. April - June reading list - To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf, As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner, Point Counter Point by Aldous Huxley
6. July - September - The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck, Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence, Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
7. October - December - Wings of the Dove by Henry James, Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett.
8. Limit television watching to 1 hour a weeknight, except on Wednesday nights when a one-hour limit would actually be cruel and unusual punishment because both Lost and Alias are on, although with the way things are going, I might just be fine with one hour that night. Yeah. didn’t happen. At all.
9. Learn CSS nope.
10. Re-learn HTML I did do some work on this and count it as re-learning, partially. I will have to spend a lot more time on it, but it’s going well so far.
11. Take a photography class at LACC nope
12. Take a Spanish class at LACC nada
13. Read a non-fiction book every month. The whole thing. Not just the first 5 chapters, like I consistently do. a hahahaha! I only read 5.
14. Volunteer at an animal shelter (twice a month) I looked into this, but never got around to doing it
15. Take more pictures. Yes! I have been better about this. I really want a better camera, but for now, it’s nice to have at least something to look back on
16. Organize pictures I already have. Again, yes! I have a photo album for this year’s pictures and I’m working my way through old photos that are in photo boxes and labeling and organizing
17. Decide what to do with the stairway and do it. (It’s been half painted for 3 years.) Uh. no. still half painted, have no idea what to do with it
18 Get the writing group going again. Or start a new one. Had our first meeting to re-start up on 4/3
19. Learn to knit. No, but I have mad crochet skills now
20. Throw a dinner party. My apartment was never clean enough to attempt this, hopefully this year
21. Fix the web site. I don’t know what I meant by this, but no, no website was fixed.
22. Learn Photoshop. nope
23. Fix bike. Completed 12/11/05, I just had to pump up my tires. I’d really like to get my brakes checked but, it is functional!
24. Get tires for car. (Don’t worry, it’s not on blocks in my front yard, it has tires on it, they’re just bald.) Holy crap that was waaaay more expensive then I thought, shocks, struts, re-pack ball bearings. etc. etc. blah blah blah. But the damned thing rides like a shitty Lexus now, so I’ve got that going for me. Which is nice. January 29, 2005
25. Clean the damn office. The pile of papers that extends from the desk to the floor is unacceptable and fucking up the feng shui of our already feng shui challenged apartment. Cleaned 5/30/05. It was a dusty mess, but now it is dust and paper free. YAY, ME!
26. Take clothes to the dry cleaners. Wow, those dry cleaning ladies really don’t like to touch my clothes. They picked them up with two fingers and looked at them askanse. Whatever bitches, you work there. It’s your damned job. (No offense, B) January 29, 2005
27. Take clothes to Goodwill Completed 11/8/05, I had 6 bags of clothes and crap. It was so nice to be free of it.
28. Rip CD’s. Completed 3/5/05
29. Sell CD’s. They are still sitting on my floor, waiting to be sold, I might just give them away in order to be rid of them
30. Use the sewing machine for something other than a storage surface. (That means sew something. Preferably something fashionable and wearable.) It was unburied but nothing was done with it.
31. Get a CA Driver’s License. (I know. Five years. In CA. Without a CA Driver’s License. They’re going to haul me off to driver’s license jail.) I’m really ashamed of this not getting done, soon, very soon I will get a CA driver’s license
32. Take a ‘vacation’ with the boyfriend. That is, if he remains my boyfriend. If he doesn’t that might be just a little bit awkward. Completed in August for our anniversary. We only went as far as Annaheim, to Disneyland, but it counts because we stayed in a hotel and ordered room service. For some reason, that makes it count. I don’t know why.
33. Mexico (or another Caribbean border area) Apparently I thought I was going to be rich last year. Silly me, that’s THIS year.
34. Go to Joshua Tree. Uh. No. But I did have an awesome time in Palm Springs.
35. Visit some place I’ve never been (Like Lake Tahoe! Wait. I might have been there… I don’t remember it though so it still counts!) I spent a day in Palm Springs in the middle of the summer, while technically I’ve been there before because of all the driving through it I do, I had never spent this much time there, so I count this.
36. Run twice a week - on average. (104 times this year. Easy.) I ran 101 times last year, I kept track. I count that as totally accomplished because 101 is close enough to 104.
37. Go on a bike ride once a week - on average. (52 times this year.) I went on one bike ride, so no, this was not accomplished
38. Take Calcium twice a day. (Impossibly hard. But both mom and grandma have serious bone loss, so… nothing like good genetics to kick me into gear.) I really made an effort, but I’m not quite there yet with this.
39. Buy one of those pill dispenser daily thingies so I can remember to take my calcium. Completed sometime back in August I think, I purchased it… put the pills in it. And it sits, prominently on our junk table with the original pills still hanging out there. Oh well.
40. Go to the dentist. I disgust myself
41. Pilates tapes once a week. (Again, that’s on average so 52 times this year.) hahaha!
42. Fast food no more than once a week unless it’s an emergency. (Craving a Jumbo Jack is not an emergency. BUT, needing a Sausage and Egg McMuffin to cure a hangover is an emergency.) This has been pretty easy since I went on my diet. I really don’t eat it anymore unless I have no other choice. Yay, me!
43. Quit smoking. For real. I quit smoking 2 months ago, I’m really proud of myself for this one
44. An hour a day. Blogging doesn’t count. Not so much
45. Do wedding script outline nope
46. Fix SBB outline. I don’t even remember what this was
47. Write SBB script. see above
48. Finish re-write of Mine script. Completed 3/30. Got great notes, the polish should be easy
49. Polish Mine script. After Tara and I realized we needed to do a complete overhaul of this we sort of gave up
50. Write outline of prequel. no
51. Write first draft of prequel. I am crazy
52. Finish novella. what novella?
53. Write a short story and submit it somewhere. I wrote many stories for you people, none of them qualified, I’m a loser
54. No more complaining about going to work. I’m lucky to have a job. I got so much better about this, I really did, it still needs work though
55. Write thank you notes. Do it within two weeks of gift giving. Uh. Thank you!
So if you made it through reading that, I’m really proud of you, look forward to regaling you with a tale of New Year’s Eve and this year’s resolutions! I completed 19 out of 55, better luck next year, I guess.