Once again, I’ve yanked Sundry’s recap meme, even though it appears she’s retired the tradition. My old recaps are here - 2010, 2011
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
I had a baby and produced a feature.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Last year I said I would just wing it, and I think that pretty much sums up the year. Having a baby kind of made any sort of resolution seem a little dumb. This year, I have a few things I’d like to try to do. Let’s see if I ever get around to writing that post!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Dragon babies! My real life friends, Cats and Waller, had a baby girl who is a champion among babies. Shout out to my internet friends who in the darkest hours of my early post partum breast feeding days were there on twitter helping me see the humor. And who are there still. The internet just made me cry! Hormones!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My first Hollywood boss and mentor died. This question doesn’t get any easier every year that goes by.
5. What countries did you visit?
Well, our Germany trip ended on January 2nd, so I guess, yes, Germany. I visited Germany.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
Sex. Lots and lots of sex.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
July 8th - my official due date. And July 10th, the day Moses was born.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Producing a movie while 7 months pregnant!
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not being honest with myself after Moe was born about being able to continue producing at the level I was before his birth and letting down my producing partner.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I think I had a little PTSD after Moe’s traumatic birth. And the birth itself was pretty injurious. Other than that, I’ve been pretty damned healthy.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I just sat here for 20 minutes going, “What was that thing? You know, that thingy thing?” And yeah, THE BABY ate my brain. I think the upgrade to first class on my trip to Seattle will have to be it. I cannot remember anything else that wasn’t baby related.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Hey, babies are expensive! I had heard this, but now I have confirmed it for myself.
13. What did you get really excited about?
This little baby named Moses.
14. What song will always remind you of 2012?
My mind is blank again. All I can think of is Danny’s Song by Loggins and Messina. Not very 2012-y.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:?
– happier or sadder? Happier!
– thinner or fatter? Fat fat the water rat! Fatter!
– richer or poorer? hmmm… I think the same, surprisingly.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Watching what I was eating while I was pregnant. This 20 pounds is kind of stuck here at the moment, and that doesn’t count the 15 I gained during fertility treatments.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Being mean to Seth.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas Eve I cooked a big dinner for Seth’s kids (Swedish meatballs, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, and roasted vegetables). Christmas morning we opened presents at our house and then went to Seth’s mom’s and opened more presents.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
I fell in love with The New Girl and The Mindy Project and fell back in love with The Walking Dead. I think Parenthood really upped its game again and I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention The Olympics. They got me through some dark, lonely parenting days while Seth was working and I was learning how to be a mom.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
I loved The Happiness Project and Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin, Cinder by Marissa Meyer, You Take it From Here by Pamela Ribon, The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, In the Woods by Tana French, Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore, and my friend Jennifer Quintenz’s book, Thrall.
21. What was your favorite music this year?
Hmm. I listened to a lot of KDAY, which for those of you who don’t live in LA is “old school” hip hop and rap. I put old school in quotes because stuff I listened to in grad school shouldn’t be considered old school.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Again, I’m drawing a blank. Magic Mike? Was that this year?
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 36 and I remembered very little of it until I re-read my birthday entry.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
This was a pretty satisfying year, but having my mom here to meet Moe would have been nice.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Maternity and fat pants.
26. What kept you sane?
Brownie mugs. Lots and lots of brownie mugs.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
People try to downplay the trauma of a bad birth experience, but to me that minimizes the mother’s importance in the equation and I’ve learned that people really don’t understand how much it affects the woman and that is pretty fucked up. That is not really a lesson. Here’s a lesson - Breastfeeding is really fucking hard for some people and NO ONE WARNED ME.